Friday, December 9, 2016

Series Spotlight: Tourist Trap Mysteries by Lynn Cahoon

Another migration from BL to here type of post. Today I am giving the spotlight to a great cozy mystery series. Tourist Trap Mystery series by Lynn Cahoon is set in the fictional small coastal town of South Cove, California. The MC, Jill, is the owner of a coffee shop/book store and runs into an alarming number of dead bodies (as one does in a cozy mystery series).

I really love this series and it will also give me feelings of homesickness for California (even though I only lived in California for a little over five years). The cast of recurring characters are not as quirky (read: annoying) as in other cozy mystery series. Over all, the big reason I read this series is that is comforting and fun. I listed the books in order of their appearance in the series.



http://www.lynncahoon.com/tourist-trap-series

Guidebook to Murder - 4 stars
The book that kicks off the series. This was a bit of a tear jerker at the end, so keep the tissues handy. The story is one of the most mystery heavy in the series, with the romance in the distant background.


************
 
http://www.lynncahoon.com/tourist-trap-series



Mission to Murder - 3.5 stars
 I read the first book in the series over a year ago, and yet within the first chapter I felt connected to the characters again and the first 3 chapters were read within a couple of hours. I wasn't as interested in the murder mystery as I was in the different relationships of the recurring characters, I felt the mystery wasn't as good as the characters or the writing.


************
 
http://www.lynncahoon.com/tourist-trap-series



If the Shoe Kills - 4 stars
A fun, escapist story complete with a return of old friends in the small, picturesque town of South Cove. This is the third installment and I was sucked into the story line real quick. It is a holiday-themed story and by the end of the story I really wanted a traditional Thanksgiving meal.  it read more like a romance with a mystery sub plot. I enjoyed it because I love the recurring characters and the setting, but I would not recommend unless you already read book one and/or book two, as this seems more like a gift to readers of the series and a way to set up for the next book.

************
http://www.lynncahoon.com/tourist-trap-series


Dressed to Kill - 4 stars
The author twisted it up a little and had Jill not be the one to find the dead body, or have anything to do with person who was killed. Another twist was this wasn't an out-of-towner, but a resident  I liked that Jill was finally the rescuer rather than the one being rescued in the confrontation with the killer. I agree with the killer - Det King (Jill's hunky bf) was a little obtuse with all the evidence, especially with the evidence, clues, and theories Jill feed him. I hope he isn't this dumb in the books to come after this one; I like when they bounce ideas off each other and come up with the smart, right answers. Hunky is better when it comes with a side of brains.

************
 
http://www.lynncahoon.com/tourist-trap-series



Killer Run - 3 stars
Good installment in the series but too light on the mystery front. Another case of victim and murderer from out of town, so there is no sense of tension within the community. Pretty quick read. I like the way the author set up the next book's plot line at the end of this book without muddying the plot line of this book. I just need more mystery and less cozy; the victim and murderer was plainly made within a couple of chapters - even before the dead body was found.

************
 
http://www.lynncahoon.com/tourist-trap-series



Murder on Wheels - 3 stars
Better than the last one, but there is something missing at the end of this mystery - namely a good motive for why the murderer committed the crime. There was too much focus on the love lives of the gang. Amy was an utter cow to Jill for a ridiculous reason. I didn't like the fact that Greg dismissed Jill's theory or gut instinct, and low and behold, she was right and solved the murder. Greg might be Mr. Perfect, but he can be a bit of a dim-bulb compared to Jill and Toby.

************
 
http://www.lynncahoon.com/tourist-trap-series


Tea Cups and Carnage - 4.5 stars
The magic is back in this installment. The last couple of books have lacked something on the mystery end of the stories, but this kept the plot line on the mystery and the relationships took a back seat. Although the victim and murderer was once again out-of-towners, there were really good ties to the community via the clues to solving the murder. I'm a little tired of mini story lines about the love lives of Toby and Sasha, but I still enjoy the relationship between Greg and Jill. And I really like the tie in between the Tourist Trap Mystery series and the author's new cozy mystery series. I admit to not caring anymore about Jill's nosiness or her gossipy ways of solving the murders.

************

There will be an eighth book, titled Hospitality and Homicide, coming May 16, 2017. It is already on my 2017 reads list.

1 comment:

Keep it clean and no cyber-bullying. The comment section will not be moderated unless evidence shows it must be to allow for all readers/reviewers/commenters to feel open to sharing. I don't suffer Internet trolls gladly.