Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Autumn Reading Preview

 
 
I'm so ready for autumn - cozy blankets, crisp apples, and spooky reads. Two online friends put together a Halloween Bingo that started September 1st and ends October 31st. I have already planned out my reading for the two months based on what books I have or can borrow from the library that would fill in the squares for a black out card once again.



 

 I have two classic books on my reading list: Dracula by Bram Stoker and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. This will also help me complete my reading goal of 4-6 classic books read in a year.
 
I am not much for horror or gore, so most of my picks for bingo are from paranormal romance (PNR)genre and cozy mysteries. Some PNR choices include books #2-4 of Tiffany Allee's Files from the Otheworlder Enforcement Agency series (I read book #1 back in January and loved it enough to pick up the entire series)


 
 
and  the ...In Death novellas from J.D. Robb (these novellas can also be found in anthologies with various other authors, but I am not interested in those other stories - just want my Eve and Roarke) - so far I have read these two, with another four to go.
Vampire vs. Lt Eve Dallas

A Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde story done with NYC 2060 spin
 


I also have some YA in the mix:
http://blackholly.com/

http://www.bethfantaskey.com/

http://maryrobinettekowal.com/novel/shades-of-milk-and-honey/
 
 
And there are a couple of comics/graphic novels:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/works/Comics/The+Graveyard+Book/

http://marvel.com/comics/collection/57307/vision_vol_1_little_worse_than_a_man_trade_paperback



Overall, I'm enjoying a break from historical romance and non-fiction books. In addition to the bingo, the autumn edition of Dewey's 24 Read-a-thon is scheduled for Saturday, October 22nd.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa .

    In my opinion both Dracula and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow are great books. I am not much of a horror reader but these two are special.

    Among many reasons that I like The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in many ways it says a lot about America. I think that that this is true in ways that are still relevant today.

    I also love Dracula for a lot of reasons. One is that it is one of the most atmospheric books that I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean and no cyber-bullying. The comment section will not be moderated unless evidence shows it must be to allow for all readers/reviewers/commenters to feel open to sharing. I don't suffer Internet trolls gladly.