Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Summer 2016 Reading Challenge #2: DoD-MWR Summer Reading Program






Image result for summer reading challenge 2016 for adults
Picture from http://bernal-library.weebly.com/news/summer-reading-challenge-2016



The second reading challenge I am doing is a repeat from last year. Each year, the Dept of Defense (DoD) and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) libraries execute a summer reading program aimed at helping military dependents prevent "the summer slide" in reading skills in children (see picture). This year's theme is "Read - For The Win" (basically sports). My kids participated last year - there is the launch party with crafts, games, and a take home bag of goodies, weekly prizes (based on theme), and an end of the summer reading party where awards are given out based on reading reports.

The reports are generated by the online registration and tracking, divided by age groups. I only tracked my kids' reading last year, but this year I have decided to track my own reading along with the kids' reading. I have a soon-to-be kindergartener, so some of the books we are reading are for beginner readers to help him gain some confidence in reading; I figure on a little bit of me reading to him and him reading to me. As for my pre-schooler, she is just happy to get time with mommy and her books.

The program runs from June 1st through mid- to late August, although launch parties are held after June 1st. It is important to remember the dates so you can track your reading from June 1st so that you don't miss any reading in the first two weeks of the program. Story time at the library also counts!

 Want to know more about the DoD-MWR Summer Reading Program? Contact your base library or go to https://www.ila.org/dodsumread/.

Until next time, happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good! Summer reading is pretty important, I think, so I'm glad this exists!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean and no cyber-bullying. The comment section will not be moderated unless evidence shows it must be to allow for all readers/reviewers/commenters to feel open to sharing. I don't suffer Internet trolls gladly.